Monday, April 27, 2009

It Is IMPORTANT to be NICE!

It's nice to be important but it is MORE important to be nice.

The Geography Quiz held in the school gallery today, showed me the true colours of my students. The so called 'elite' class behaved in such a way that had me flummoxed. In the quest to get marks for the class, the students can be too agressive that got me almost injured. The girls were practically snatching the microphone without thinking the safety of others. Tsk! tsk! tsk! This kind of behaviour had definitely changed my perception towards you guys.

The aim of this quiz is to instil that learning takes place in a fun and a spontaneous way, but, when we had people that were too 'kiasu', the game no longer became fun. What is so great of getting high marks when you leave such a bad impression of yourself? Talk about first class facility but third class mentality.

Do we teachers have to remind you to be nice every time? Nagging can be tiring you know, and it is no fun especially when you have to nag to 6 other classes of thirty odd students. You people come from a girls school, a cluster school and many of you have parents who are professional but you guys definitely do not behave like one.

As teachers, of course we are happy to have clever girls but what is the use of being clever when people talk more of your rowdy behaviour? We teachers appreciate more of our polite and obedient students. These students may not be clever but there are the ones that we remember to this date.

I know it is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice. Please remember that, as we Malaysians are slowly lacking in this. Please bear in mind too that society tends to associate a child behaviour to his or her upbringing at home. So please do not tarnish your parents name and the school name. Take care.

6 comments:

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Puteri, tell me about it. I believe kids nowadays lack values la, especially those in the good classes. I feel they are cocky at times, especially to teachers who lack the ability to converse in English..ada students yang mengajuk cikgu dia punya broken English, melampau, kan!

Puteri's territory said...

Ida,
that's so true. I was appaled by their behaviour. I think I have been living in wonderland. So their behaviour caught me by surprise. Memang geleng kepala I tadi.

2 Amanah (2009) said...

We are terribly sorry teacher. We were over competetive. All of the sudden, one person started grabbing the mic, so we thought it was okay and played along. If we tried to be polite, we would not win. Of course at that moment, it never occured to us that politeness is way more important than winning. We are also very sorry that our class was one of the most agressive class just now. Once again, we are terribly sorry teacher.

Lee said...

Hello Puteri, I was at Ida Hariati's place nak check out noticed your callsign, "Puteri's Territory'....hmmm, I like that.
But as there's no, 'beware of dogs' sign saya busybody over.
Nice eloquent posting. I always appreciate women, men too who composes well.

Read with interest your this posting, here's my 24 cents..
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.

I was all my teacher's nightmare old days, siapa la bawak snakes, iguanas, leeches to class and lepas kan secretly.
Bet you've never seen lady teachers in sarongs or cheong sums scrambling out of windows or doing a table top dance in class, ha ha.

But somehow....I never forgot my teachers who enlightened me, (bet they never forgot me either!) and somehow, not sure whether it was my mother turning religious because of me or whatever, but in the end, I not only surprised everyone, but most of all myself. I got thru all my exams by a hair's width, ha ha.

My mother received more letters from teachers than other mothers, and those were not of her son being good looking, ahemm, but the 'your son has no hope, no future' variety kind', ha ha.

Chegu, women like you should be put on a pedastal. 'Have a pleasant week, best regards, Lee.

Puteri's territory said...

2Amanah,
of course your apology is accepted. Having the chance to work with all of you for the choral speaking, i failed to see the other side of you guys hence that kind of behaviour actuall y caught me off guard. The fact that you focus too much on winning that you were willing to go overboard in your action without thinking the consequences that what surprised me. Winning is not everything and you guys have achieved so much already. Am proud but just don't forget your values.

This entry is meant for everybody too, not only to your class, that it is important to be nice.

Puteri's territory said...

U.Lee,
always with your kind words.

I have to agree that you are one hard person that's hard to forget plus with your good look, I bet you are always in you teacher's book.

Your teachers must be proud of you now that you have come this far in your life. Kudos to your mom and teachers for moulding such a wonderful human being like you.

take care.