Wednesday, March 25, 2009

We didn't win, again!

Today was the district level choral speaking competition, and as mentioned in the title we didn't win again! I'm not sure what my feeling is now, it's a mixture of slight frustration, disappointment and confusion but I feel bad for the girls. I believe the judging this year is better than last year but there are somethings that I just don't get it.

I'm proud that we fought well as we abided to the rules, we met the time limit, the girls were animated, their pronunciation and enunciation were clear, the material was relevant but we didn't win. I'm aware of the few minor glitches here and there but somebody please tell me where or which part that the judges were not happy with!! It was clearly stated in the rules and regulations that hand movements is not allowed, singing is definitely a no-no. We had none of those, and we are among the 3 schools which met the time limit, the rest 7 schools went less than the minimum requirement time. Not to mention, the winner on the other hand had hand movements and one of the top three schools sang. So somebody please please please tell me, where we went wrong so we can improve next year. When we did ask the judges, they just said oh you guys just missed by a few marks only. Excuse me, like how many marks? Can they just say what position we are in? It's not that we're going to make an issue out of it as we also know that the judges decison is final.

Sometimes, I just feel that, there is just no point taking part in this kind of competition, we will just never win just because we come from Sri Aman. No matter how much effort we put in or how good the girls are, the judges just feel that we don't deserve to win just because they believe we are privilleged. Hello! This thing doesn't actually come easy for us too you know. The teachers and the students had to sacrifice their time and energy practising. We sacrificed our holidays too!!!

Well, who am I to complain, just a small fry in this area but it is good to know that the standard of the choral speaking has improved tremendously. I believe the judges had quite a hard time in choosing the winners. I just wish they were more consistent in their judging. I would love to give credit to Taman Dato Harun though, they were good, their level has really shoot up. They just have to work a bit more in their diction. They were unison and their movements were sharp. The trainers (teachers) were unhappy they lost because they took the time and effort getting the students to practise (real hard), they called up the PPD and the trainer from the last year's winning team just to get a clear picture of the rules and regulations. They were clearly disappointed as the winners didn't actually follow the rules.

But girls, I'm really proud of you! You guys were talented, animated and witty, it just not our luck, again (and again)! They judges may not think that we were good but other teachers from other schools thought that we should at least got no. 3. So there's nothing to be ashamed about. Just stand tall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how was catholic high? do u noe u came REALLY close 2 my house...LOL...

Puteri's territory said...

They were good but they had hand movements. Other schools were equally good too. Came close to your house? What do you mean? Didn't get you there?