Saturday, August 8, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Many of you may wonder why I've been keeping low and quiet for so long. Well, last 2 weeks wasn't a good week for me. It started off with my maid having a bad cough and high fever. Things get a little kelam-kabut as my right hand and leg was not very fit to do the chores around the house. Although she was taken twice for check-ups there wasn't much change to her condition. Then on that Thursday night, it was my turn to be down with high fever and a severe headache. It was so bad that I couldn't make myself to get up for school the next day. The situation got even worse when my baby Hilman and Dhaniyah were down with fever, flu and cough too. As the outbreak of the serious cases of H1N1, we decided to go to the clinic immediately for check up. Turned out all 3 of us had temperature of 39 degrees and were told to do the throat swab in 2 days if the symptoms persist.

As bibik was unwell too, she needed the time off so she could seek traditional help. We granted her the permission because her cough was so bad that everytime she coughs, she vomits. So imagine how chaotic the situation was with my bibik not around and the two younger children being sick. The next day the fever attacked Khairina and Nabil, their temperature was so high that we had to put wrapped ice on their forehead to bring down the temperature. My macho son Nabil shed a few tears because he just couldn't stand the pain. All of them were so weak and terjelepek, I felt so sorrry for them.

My maid was supposed to come back on Sunday night but as she was still so sick, she asked for extension, so Monday morning only Nuraina got up for school with bibik not around and myself was still unwell, she went to school without a belt around her pinafore but I was too sick to go look for it. She was unhappy though and she went***grumble grumble*** I am a prefect***grumble grumble*** not setting a good example***grumble grumble*** I don't look smart***grumble grumble*** with tears flowing down her cheeks. The next day, there was still no sign bibik, we tried calling her but our calls couldn't get through so we started to panic. With Hilman's condition getting weaker, with fever, cough and cold and he will regurgitate everytime when we had to give him the medicine made it even worse, he's once chubby face had somewhat seem to shrivel as he didn't eat and drink as much as he used to.

So the next day began with still no sign of bibik and now all 5 of my kids were down with fever but the other 3 showed sign of recuperating now it was Nuraina's turn to get sick and Hilman to be sicker. Hilman's cough and cold was so bad, he couldn't sleep well at night. He was given suppository for 2 days but still no improvement. Alas! Bibik came back on Tuesday afternoon and turned out she was so sick she couldn't get up.

With bibik being back, Hilman was brought to see his paeditricain Dato Dr Musa in DSH. Parking in that area was so bad, I had to make a few rounds and it took me almost an hour to get a parking space which was 1.5 km away from the hospital itself. Luckily my mom was with me, while I was looking for parking, Mama went to queue for our turn to see the doctor. When I arrived, Hilman looked so sick and weak, he was quiet and clingy. As the doctor was attending to Raja Nazrin's son, it took us longer than usual to get to see him.

Once checked, Hilman was told to be turned in as his throat and both his ears were infected and his temperature was 39.4 degree celcius and he was dehydrated. He was taken for x-ray and to do a blood test. Seeing him in that condition was heart-wrenching as he cried and cried during x-ray and for the blood test. Waiting for our room to be ready took us more than an hour as the hospital was packed with patients. Hilman later was given the nebalizer where he protested everytime, and antibiotics shot on his thigh.

Every 6 hours he was been monitored for fever and suppository was given everytime. We were there for 2 nights until he has completed his 10 sessions of nebalizer and 6 shots of antibiotics. Hilman being an unfriendly baby by nature became so clingy as he refused to be put down, he didn't want to walk, he wanted to be carried all the time and he can't lose his sight of me or he will start wailing. Hence it made my life quite difficult as I had to hold my nature call or bring him along with me. As the place was alien to him, he refused to sleep until I lie down with him on the bed with my tudung detached if I still have my tudung on he just won't make himself go to sleep. He'll go 'nak kut, bu. Nak kut bu'. Until i took off my tudung and lie on the hospital bed beside him. He will start crying everytime he sees the nurses as it means it's time for his shots or nebalizer so the sight of nurses means bad news to him.

Alhamdulillah he got better, no more fever but he's still coughing and he was given ventolin and aerochamber so we can do it home. The timing can't be better as school was closed due to suspected cases of H1N1 in my school so I need not apply for CRK. We arrived home yesterday, it feels so good to be home, sleeping on my comfortable bed and eating rice and lauk at home as we were fed only porridge during our stay there.

Although I am tired and suffer from slight headache, body ache and a backache due to my awkward sleeping position on the uncomfortable hospital bed. It is so goooooooooood to be home. Finally the children are better and am happy to be out of this mess. Home sweet home.

P/S - Myra if you're reading this, I'll try to do that Uber Award entry in my next post. Sorry dear.

6 comments:

Lizamurni Lokman said...

Puteq,

Am glad to know that your children and yourself are getting better...with the outbreak around, we can't be taking any risks kan? I'm really scared but so far Alhamdulillah, we are okay....

Take really good care of yourself...

Desert Rose said...

Kak Puteri,

Alamak soooo sorry to hear all ur trouble, couldnt imagine la kalau anak2 sakit berjemaah ni kan.

Alhamdullilah lah dah ok ..drink more fluid kak, and take care.

Somone told me, green apple juice and orange juice are good for H1N1 , to b taken evryday.

So it should be a good remedy to any other fever kot kan, maybe u want to try ....

Take care.

Puteri's territory said...

Dikny,
thanks. My life was a real mess sebelum tu dgn budak2 took turns to muntah, tukar cadar brp kali but now lega sikit.

Puteri's territory said...

Desert Rose,
I just read about that too, but Hilman can't take apple juice and orange juice as it will aggravate his cough, but the rest are taking it on a daily basis now.

thank you for your concern

Cik Puan Kamil said...

Kak Puteri siannya... Sakit apa tuh sampai whole family kena..

Sometimes kan bila ada wabak penyakit like H1N1, masa tu jugak le a virus is going around and buat kita panic... Glad everybody is okay now..

Puteri's territory said...

Myra,
Hilman suspected pneumonia but everything cleared already. Syukur alhamdulillah. The rest had high fever and cough and getting better too. Thanks.