Monday, December 15, 2008

Women and Worries

A very good friend of mine showed me a newspaper clipping sometime ago that says "Research has shown that on average women spend 48 minutes a day worrying" and my first reaction was "HAH! Really! Can't be!" And after thinking it through for quite sometime, I couldn't agree more I believe I too spend 48 minutes a day worrying about stuffs.

For example, my role as a mother, I worry that I do not do much as a mother. The time the children spend on watching tv and playing games should have been spent wisely with some fun educational activities. I worry the kids do not take much nutritious food, they do not like to eat veggies they often prefer to eat chicken, beef and egg. My second child does not enjoy eating fruits like the sisters and to be honest i sometimes feed them junk food too example maggi (kids favourite) only allowed once a fortnight, ice-cream, twisties, pringles, oreo, chipsmore, nuggets, sausages. I know! I know! I'm such a bad mom.

Not only that, although they are young, i am already worried about their future. I worry that they will be involved in bad things, are easily influenced and mixing around with the wrong company(this kind of thought usually happens after i read the newspaper), marry the wrong guy and etc etc. As we try to make them to have such a happy childhood I worry that someday they will be unhappy in their lives. What I worry most is that they will forget me, regard me as burden and no longer needed me in their lives. (Please God don't let all these happen to me).

My role as a wife, again, I worry that I have not been doing much for my husband either. I seldom cook, my husband who comes from the east coast has different taste buds than we do so he doesn't really enjoy eating our dishes, he irons his own clothes, he packs his own stuff when travelling, he doesn't trust me to drive his car. What I worry most is to lose his love to another woman (hopefully not!) and to lose him to Allah.

My role as a daughter, I worry that I have not been spending much quality time with my mom, I don't provide her enough care and money, I sometimes hurt her feelings with my words and actions and I worry that one day I will regret for not doing the things that I should be doing when I have time and opportunity.

As an individual, I worry that I having been eating too much, exercise too little (close to none actually), I shout too much to the kids, I'm not setting good examples, I don't try to improve myself, I often worry of not having enough money (money again! boring! ), getting fat, getting old, getting sick and etc etc.

I'm not sure about other women out there but all of the above mentioned are my common worries and on top of that i worry about the maids too for not doing a good job, for pulling a long face, for not speaking the truth, i worry that i have not been a good teacher, for not doing more than expected, for not marking their books on time, for not moulding them into good individuals, for not making a difference in their lives and the list just goes on and on.

Hmm... Hey I actually spend more than 48 minutes worrying a day. Am I normal?

11 comments:

jabishah said...

Seriously, stop the worries. It only adds wrinkles on the face & that I tell you is a big worry ;-)

You worry because you are a thoughtful person & has a heart of gold. Enjoy those around you wholeheartedly as we both know, none of us is immortal.

Puteri's territory said...

Ja, thanks for your kind words. Just can't help it i'm a madam worrier. Kadang2 kalau my mom ke my hubby ke or even my friend nampak muka mcm lain je I dah worry that kot2 I made them to become such. mmg stress but just can't help it.

Naz in Norway said...

Salam perkenalan Puteri!
You are definitely NOT alone in feeling this way about things.
Change the *worrier* into a *warrior*.
You are one! Most definitely ... and one with a good heart too :)

Puteri's territory said...

Kak Naz, thanks for visiting. You're too kind. Thanks.

Lizamurni Lokman said...

Puteq,

hey, that makes two of us...madam worrier...

u know me...at times i get worried unnecessarily and it got to other people (hubby especially)....well, just hope that i'll improve with time...heheheh

Puteri's territory said...

omigod ye ke dikny! ni ada kena mengena sbb being born the only girl in the family ke? ahak ahak.

ms hart said...

Hi Puteri! Saw you around and thought of dropping by! Hey, yes, you ARE veghy, veghy normal! Don't worry!! We all are
'guilty' of that, you know! But remember, worrying is like sitting on a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but brings you to no where! Have a good day, and thanks, Puteri!

Lizamurni Lokman said...

Puteq,

I think I'll have to agree with you that it might be due to being the only girl in the family...we used to get all the attention that we wanted and nobody said 'no' to us or turned us down....
Now, competitions are all around us and we can't beat them. That's why we are the madam worrier because things don't seem to be in our way...betul tak? heheh..

Chris said...

Guess who is not alone in this .... YOU! Sigh. Anyway, we all go through most of the same things, though in slightly different situations. By the way, add a c-box, dear. Easier to leave comments without using this comment section.

fazemy said...

Stop thinking about the messy matter. Try to focus what the think i do. thats what i do.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear madam,

I used to worry too..but now, I'm learning to let go and relax myself a bit..

Yea, we want to be the perfect mom to the kids and best wife for the hubby. But please spend sometime for yourself. You need space too...

Take care