Sunday, July 3, 2011

Dilemma

My eldest daughter Nuraina has been piling on so much weight for the past few months.

You know,she started off being such a skinny baby as she was close to be underweight we have been giving her a lot of multivitamins and minerals to make her go strong, chubby and healthy.  As she hit six months, we fed her appeton for babies on a daily basis, once she turned one we began to give her Scotts Emulsions and vitamin C and when she was down with fever she had lost so much weight making her look so skinny and fragile that we changed her milk into Weight Gain for 2 months. When she was in Year One she started to grow nice and proportionate and we were satisfied with her development.

There was this one day an acquittance commented that her son is the smallest in class and that she is worried, as he is a boy and he may get bullied when he goes to school later so I told her that I used to worry about my daughter's growth and I have been giving her loads of supplements and multivitamins to promote her growth.  She then commented she had a friend who used to be so small that she had been taking lots of supplements and now she has weight issues.  She said the after effect of the supplements takes many years later to get the results.  I didn't think much about it and just pushed the thought aside.

But NOW.....

I see her point, my daughter Nuraina has begun to show interest in food and she eats all the time. She enjoys eating, sometimes after taking lunch she will munch on biscuits and her stomach looks so round and protruded.  From a scrawny baby into a chubby girl, we now have problems finding clothes for her.  When she was younger she used to wear one size smaller than her age, now she wears 2 size bigger than her age.  She is 11 but she wears 13-14 clothes.  Just the other day, we bought a pair of baju kurung the largest in the kids section size 13 - 14, I was confident it could fit her because it looked big, sadly, she can't even bring the sarung to her waist, it got stuck at her thunder thighs and even the baju kurung we had problems to bring her hand out of the sleeves.

I am worried, I want her to not eating much but sometimes when I cook she will be the first I call to eat because it's nice looking at her enjoying the food I cooked as I felt all the efforts I have put in to prepare the meals have not gone to waste compared to her younger siblings who are basically needed to be forced to eat for every meal.  She even commented 'You want me to be kurus, but you also make me eat'.  Yalah tu Aina but most of the times I stop you from eating and indulging in cookies and other things kan?

This where the dilemma lies as I often stock up food in the house like biscuits, chocolate, ice-creams, fruits, wedges, nuggets and other tidbits to encourage the younger ones to eat as they are not rice-people.  The problem is that Kakak Aina will wallop what they are eating too.  On top of that when they could not finish the drinks or the food they consumed Kakak Aina will be summoned as not to let the food go to waste.  So how?

I hope this is just a phase and she will not continue to balloon up as the years go by.

7 comments:

Sandhya said...

I know exactly how you feel puan puteri! I went through something similar around that age too...you see, I considered myself to be normal and proportionate in my early years of growth (although my mum and most people said I look scrony and need to gain weight) that is until I turned 11. I don't remember my mum giving me any supplements or anything but at the age of 11, I started developing a passion for food and wanted to explore the wonderful world of culinary delights. Then, I really started gaining. Thank god for my proactive grandmother! She noticed my tremendous gain in weight and started getting me to exercise and eat more fruits. That did me a lot of good! I managed to lose some weight and look normal! That is until a year ago...you should definitely get aina to do sit ups and basic jump rope. Don't worry, you can shape her into a healthy kid!

Sandhya said...

*scrawny*

Sandhya said...

*scrawny*

Puteri's territory said...

Sandhya, thank you dear. That is very enlightening. Your grandmother is such a caring and loving lady. The problem is that I will stop her from gobbling all the food but sometimes she will take the sisters or the brothers food without my knowledge.

Will get her to exercise more, she takes swimming class once a week clearly that's not enough.

SGRMSE. said...

relax, it most probably is! (seeing as how you're so ultra slim, i doubt she's genetically built for obesity) my little brother went through the exact same phase. he was so scrawny as a toddler and then round as a ball in his growing years (come to think of it, i was the same except my "baby fat" only started shedding after high school when i entered college...) she'll drop the extra weight as her growth spurt kicks in. all that's really a concern is the quality of food she's taking. that it's not all junk (food) and she's getting adequate vitamins and nutrients from/in her diet. lots of fruit and veg to snack on and have as treats (: (: (:

Puteri's territory said...

Mel, thank you dear. I miss you, you've been very quiet lately. Hope life is treating you well. Take care.

Brinda Menon said...

I also went through the same way. When i was about 4-12 years of age, i always looked very small and really thin. when i was 12, i was only 40 kg and i was underweight as i was tall, my mother,however, felt as if i needed to gain weight and fed me with lots of food and allowed me to explore in a world of culinary delights. Now, 14, i am now overweight as i became too fond of food and started to love food. Aina will surely come to her senses when the time comes, my sister was obese until she was 16, when she was pressurized by my relatives and lost about 19 kg. Don't give up, teacher, aina will loose weight and become normal when the time comes. She can eat whatever food she wants to eat but the portions must be correct. my recommendation: visit myfitnesspal.com and she can control her diet by seeing the amount of calories she consumes per day.