Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Oh Khairina my dear!

Khairina my second daughter and my 3rd child is as gentle as a lamb.  She's so gentle that she's easily bullied by people around her.  Out of the 3 attending primary school, she's the one struggling with school work and the environment.  She does not project any demeanor of being confident, she is very timid, introvert and afraid to ask question.

She had been lagging in her school work and more often than not her exercise books have comments of 'incomplete work', 'work not sent on time', 'kerja tak siap' and 'tak lengkap' and thus she often gets the shelling from me and I often blame her for being unfocused and dreamy in class and she denied all the accusations made.  This happened last year and this year she has promised that things will change and that she will change for the better.

However on the first day of school she sat at the back row of the classroom because she had wondered around the school and  forgotten to book a seat.  I was so pissed that her being unfocused and dreamy resurface.   Three weeks after, when the kids were given homework, I got even madder when I saw that her books were still not up to date, her work was messy and there's incomplete work remark in her books.  I told her to borrow a book from a friend, she said nobody wanted to lend her their book and I went 'don't you have any friend?'  Nabil heard this and went 'she's always alone Ibu, she eats alone in the canteen and she walks around the school after that all by herself.'

 I then began to realize that she's never invited to any birthday parties, It wasn't an issue then because she's always following Kakak Aina (the miss popular) to parties so I didn't think much of it, but invitation from her friends, she has none.  She's a real loner, she does not make any effort to make friends and whenever I ask her 'don't you have friends?' her answer is always yes but no one is her good friend as she finds waiting for them to go to the canteen and finishing eating then only walking together, as cumbersome. She's happy when she's with her siblings you can see her being bubbly and active, running around and coming out with new ideas.  That's why I was caught of guard when Nabil told me she's a loner.

Ok back to the issue, I told her since nobody wants to lend you their book, next time can you please please please pay more attention in class, stop being dreamy because this is class work I cannot help you because I don't know what the teacher has written on the board, and she went 'Ibu I always pay attention in class, I copy slowly because I cannot see what is written on the board.' You mean to say, you can't see? Gosh! I could feel my blood draining.  All this while you were not able to finish your work on time because you cant see?  Husband did the test and true enough she failed the 4m range test. Nooo..... Oh Nina you have to wear spectacles? I'm not ready for this darling, you are to young to wear glasses.

We took her to the opticians the next day and turned out her eyesights were pretty bad her left eye the reading was 100 and her right eye 225.  After that incident, I could not help but to feel bad for accusing her of being dreamy and unfocused. While waiting for the spectacles to be ready we talked to her teacher to let her sit in front.  It has been two weeks now and so far she's doing fine with her school work.

However tonight something sad happened.  At around 9 pm I went all around looking for Khairina, she was not with Dhaniyah, not in the maid's room, neither was she in my mom's.  I was calling out her name when I suddenly  I heard a soft cry of 'I am here Ibu'.  I was so shocked she was in her room, the door was ajar but I didn't bother to check it then because the light and fan were switched off.  I went in, switch on the fan and the light and there she was lying on the bed with tears streaming down her cheeks.

I sat on the bed and asked her what went wrong, and she went 'I'm just sad' and I asked her 'why?'. And she went 'nothing' I tried to probe but she kept on saying 'nothing' when I finally said 'when you are sad, I am sad too, I love you too much that I don't want you to be sad.'  That got her more teary eyed and she went 'not many people love me Ibu,  I don't have friends, the teachers don't really pay much attention to me and even my brothers and sisters don't love me that much,'.  Oh Khairina, I was shocked to hear her say that and I became sad too 'Khairina no matter what, Ibu and Abah love you unconditionally, your siblings love you too, it is just that they have a weird way of showing it,  so it does not matter if you don't have that many friends, what's important is that you love yourself and always work hard to improve yourself, never let other people put you down and please please remember that Ibu loves you soooooo much and only want the best for you.'
She got better and went to sleep.  Looking at her sleeping, breathing evenly, looking calm and angelic made me even sadder.

Sigh!  I am not sure whether I have handled it well but I feel bad.  Bad for her to feel this way, for her not having friends and for her to have such low self-esteem.  I don't really know how to tackle this because I am a person who depends on her friends, I will be lost without them,  I need friends and I have been blessed with wonderful friends around me.  So having to handle this situation is actually out of my league! Help!

P/S - After the incident, she hugged me crying again and she said 'I did try Ibu, I tried to make friends but I don't think my friends like me that much, I'm just not important'.   'Oh baby you are really special and important to me, if they don't like you they are not worthy as your friends, they are other people out there who will be worthy of your friendship, it's just that the time has not come yet.'

Gosh! She's only 7+ and already facing this kind of problem, I really pity you Khairina and I hope things will be better for you, stop trying so hard, because you end up hurting yourself, I have faith that things will get better, I always believe that good things happen to those who wait, be patient my dear!
.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam,
All kids are different. Some kids are a lot more extrovert than others. Some kids just take longer to make friends. I have always been very quiet and loner but what made me very confident and ready to take on the world was the unconditional love I felt from my parents especially my arwah father. Nothing else matters. Tell her that while it is important to have friends and build friendship, sometimes they don't last. They come and go. But you as the parents will always be there for her and be her best friend. Insyallah while she feels safe and comforted she will slowly gain confidence and get more friends as she goes along. You did not do anything wrong. I think she is a little more special and sensitive that you may have to spend extra time to make her feel very special since she is not getting that from her friends and teachers, at least not for now.

Nadia.Is.Cute said...

My tear dropped with surprise when I read this. It doesn't seem to want to stop.

I feel for the child and for the mother, for I was, and am both the child and mother.

Just be there for her. Sometimes we may forget for our motherly duties are much. But all she needs is to know that she has got someone to fall onto.

A point I took upon myself to ask the kids: "What was the best thing that happened today?" and "What's the not so best thing pulak?"

That helps. I know I'd appreciate that question. I grew up shy, timid and eccentric. I just knew I'm uncommon and not easy to get along with.

Please hug her for me before bed tonight. Tell her Ibu and Abah are proud to have someone like her. Special. And ask her to tell you what she is looking forward in school tomorrow. It'll give you a clue of some what of her.

**hugs**

`From a struggling mom to another [you know how it is lah kan]

mumsie said...

Salam. Sedih I baca this post. I agree with Anon and Nadia. You're the best cure. Be there for her to always give her the confidence. Just give her that extra attention.

I am a struggling Mommy too. but i always feel the hurt that my girls feel when they face difficult times at school. I always wonder whether I am doing right by my kids. Susah, but we should take one day at a time, I suppose.

Puteri's territory said...

Salam Anon,
thank you for dropping by. Your words have given me so much comfort, I feel a lot better now and I do hope that my child will grow to have more confident and have more friends like you. I'm trying to be someone that she can always run to whenever she faces any difficulty in life and I want her to know that I am always proud of her and love her eternally.

Puteri's territory said...

Nadia,
(((((((hugs))))), thank you for your kind words. You know how it is when you feel like at times you feel like you fail as a mom. I am glad I have someone like you to understand the turmoil I am in. You however turned out to be such wonderful person, i do hope my girl will turn out to be witty and well-liked like you too.

I did hug her tonight for you and she went 'why Ibu?' and I said there's someone out there who loves you too and she had a big smile plastered on her face before she slide off to dreamland. Thanks again.

Puteri's territory said...

Hello Mumsie,
thank you for dropping by and leaving behind some words of encouragement, truly appreciate it. Being a mom is a real challenge and sometimes i believe I am not doing my very best due to my shortcoming

I love all of them to bits but it takes more than just love to get them through life and here's hoping that they will have plain sailing in their lives.

tireless mom said...

Hi Puteri

Obviously you have not failed her. You have tried your best to be the best mom and she has tried her best to be the best daughter. Agree with the others' comments, without any doubt.

Since Khairina seems to be low in her self esteem, try probing into what she likes and work on it. Maybe she loves art, cooking, riding, music or even swimming. Find some time doing the activities she love or even send her to classes. She will realize that she is good at something and that can boost up her morale. She can even discover friends with the same interests. But both you and husband will have to encourage her.

Nurturing and educating children are also about discovering ourselves. Do enjoy doing it, if you are stressed about it, it will not work. :)

Puteri's territory said...

Hi Kak Yatt,
thanks for dropping by. Actually we've enrolled her in piano when she stopped after one and half years as she said she's no longer interested when she was the one pestering to join the class, she's in swimming class but she doesn't seem to enjoy it either, she learnt ice-skating for 3 months when she decided to discontinue her lesson, now she wants to learn violin but at the rate that she's going on now, we're not considering it yet because she's the 'hot2 chicken shit' kind. Sigh!

J i l l said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J i l l said...

Hi Puan Puteri, you know what? your daughter sounds a little like me growing up because i had trouble making friends in Kindergarden and Primary school. One thing that really helped in my self-esteem was that my mum would make me interact with strangers when we went out like order food and pay bills, it was mortifying but it helped me build confidence and it definitely came in handy when interacting with kids at school that i didn't know.
Hopefully it's a phase she'll come out of and it's awfully sad that she's going through so much at a young age, i do hope she grows more confident and gets a few close friends, because we all need friends no matter how young or old :)

Cik Puan Kamil said...

WAAAAAAAAAA !!! Sedihnya !! I kenot tahan !!!!!!!

Darling Khairina, mari datang rumah makcik and kawan dengan Adik and Abang ok ?

Hugs.

SGRMSE. said...

awwwww. this post tugged on my heartstrings. i think if i ever had a kid who was going through this, i'd just tell him/her that it's okay. that sometimes, friends aren't everything -- being your own person, being happy and always always doing the right thing is what matters most ultimately. honestly, don't worry that she's not being invited to birthday parties and such. when i was her age, i too was ostracized. children really can be cruel. just be patient with her, talk to her often and in time she'll grow up to be a wise young lady who is self-assured and need no validation from anybody else.

please give her a BIIIIG HUG for me! (: (:

xoxo, mel (your ex-student)